OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
Many knowledge management (KM) and innovation initiatives have failed because of inadequate planning and the use of ineffective implementation strategies. This workshop will help you avoid such pitfalls and show you how to effectively scope the innovation and knowledge management environment and develop a well-structured implementation strategy. This will include the techniques to establish your innovation, knowledge and information needs, assess KM and innovation maturity, and measure the impact of KM implementation on organisational performance and innovation.
This workshop will further provide an overview of how to critically and systematically assess (audit) and represent (map) organizational knowledge and information assets, resources, processes, stocks and flows. This is done in relation to the requirements of an organisation’s strategy and outlines the importance of conducting such an audit both as the starting point of any knowledge management initiative and as an ongoing process to ensure relevancy of innovation and knowledge management policies and strategies.
The workshop will focus on practical techniques that can be used to develop a working innovation and knowledge management programme with clear deliverables. The critical factors, processes, procedures, and strategy to effectively manage KM and innovation processes will be provided as well as the basic steps to take to implement knowledge management (KM) in their organisations.
OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE
At the end of the workshop participants should be able to:
- Outline knowledge management design parameters and factors that stimulate innovation
- Be able to scope the innovation and KM environment
- Distinguish clearly between the objectives and methodologies of strategic and compliance audits; knowledge management and innovation audits
- Apply appropriate audit methodologies and techniques to assess organizational knowledge, KM and innovation assets and resources
- Align the need for an auditing and mapping initiative to the enterprise strategy and identify the appropriate focus
- Be able to integrate your KM strategy and policy with that of your organisation
- Execute the crucial KM implementation steps and stages
- Be able to create a KM implementation roadmap and formulate a communication plan in order to mobilize the support and participation of stakeholders
- Be able to measure the effectiveness of your KM and innovation programme
- Facilitate implementation in the context of change management principles
FACILITATORS: Dr Ben Fouché and Dr Gretchen Smith
DURATION OF THE COURSE: 3 day Workshop
TARGET AUDIENCE: Managers, professional specialists, entrepreneurs and knowledge workers who wish to develop an effective knowledge management strategy and implementation plan that is based on a sound understanding of their organisation’s knowledge and information environment.